Monday, October 27, 2008

A Hug From My Mom


My mom is here! And I think she's going to bring me some good luck.

It's been almost a year since I saw her last, but it feels like minutes. It was such a great feeling to see her at the airport, and then fall into her open arms for a great big and much needed hug.

My mom and I are best friends. We talk on the phone every day. And sure, we get on each other's nerves like any mother and daughter duo, but she is also the only person (after Dave) that I could imagine having around while I am going through all of this. And I'm so happy she's here to take care of me. Because sometimes, no matter how old you are, you just need your mom.

When our vet recommended that we do not fly with our 'baby' (shhh, he doesn't know he's a dog) anymore, I really had no idea what to do. Phinnegan is 11, and has travelled everywhere with us. He's taken over 20 flights, and stayed in so many hotels I can't even count. I just assumed we would bring our baby with us! But after the vet told us that we would be risking his health, we had no choice but to leave him behind. But I could never leave my baby in a kennel, not to mention who would snuggle up with him at night? Who would scratch that spot on his neck he likes so much? And how was I supposed to stay calm at such an important time while thinking about my baby with some stranger? Well, as soon as I told my mom my concerns, she was on the next flight out. She understands how stressful all this is. She would no sooner see her 'grand-dog' go to a kennel than I would. That's the great thing about my mom. She's always there for me whenever I need it. She's the best mom a girl could want, and the fact that she decided to fly out early in order to help us out, clean our house, and just simply be a shoulder to lean on, is exactly what makes my mom so special.

As an only child, my mom and I share a special bond. And even as an adult, the bond that we share is still as strong as ever. The moments and traditions and unconditional love and support is exactly the reason why I want to be a mom someday myself. I can't imagine not sharing that with my own child. she inspires me to keep dreaming and not to give up. And I know that one day, she'll make just as good a grandma, as she is a mom.

Thanks for coming mom. I love you. xo

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Nowadays, I have to keep a box of Kleenex next to me when I open your posts! :-)

Your mom sounds so very loving and caring! Mine is too, but she's half the way across the world, and I miss her!

I'll be gone tomorrow - but I'm hoping for AF for you, and for things to fall in place!

DAVs said...

Awwww that a sweet blog.
I'm missing my furbabies badly out here in Colorado, but they've never traveled with us before.
I hope everything looks good tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds so wonderful!! You are so lucky to have her as your mom! It sounds like you are already in Colorado and on your way to getting this ordeal over with. That's awesome!

Lost in Space said...

Wow, what a beautiful relationship you 2 share. I can see why you cherish each other so dearly.

Emily said...

Aw! Great pic of you & mom! I am an only child too and I totally get it!

I am sorry your baby can't travel anymore. I hate going anywhere that we can't take Libby - kennels are out for us too she stays with family or comes along.

Enjoy your visit with Mom!

Christi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog... I'm actually not cooking any follies, doing a FET since I did CGH testing. I did that part in July/August! :)

Linda said...

Awww, what a nice post! I wish I had that kind of relationship with my mom. We're close, but we're totally different. Oh well. I know exactly how you feel about your "dog." That's why we always take our Buttercup with us and drove from FL to CO. Anyway, I'm hoping for AF to come your way soon!

Damian B said...

Thhanks great post