Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mayan Abdominal Massage


Last night I started up my body work again, and I have to say, I'm glad that I did! I always feel so much better afterwards.

For those of you who have never heard of a Mayan Abdominal Massage, let me explain:

It's based on ancient Mayan technique of manipulation that repositions internal organs that have shifted, thereby restricting the flow of blood, lymph, nerve and chi. Normally the uterus leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis, about one and a half inches above the pubic bone. But the ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, causing the uterus to fall downward, forward, backward or to either side.

The first time I was on the table, my massage therapist told me my uterus was displaced -- shifted down and to the left. I was skeptical. Why had I never been told this before? But recently I was given an image of my uterus that proved it was indeed true. The x-ray below is called a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) and can be quite painful. They inject dye into the uterine cavity through the cervix and watch to see if the dye spills into the tubes and ovaries. This is done to determine whether the fallopian tubes are open or blocked. Mine were open, so that was not the problem, but the xray also showed the position of my uterus. Which low and behold was shifted to the left!

A shifted uterus has nothing to do with whether or not I can get pregnant. But. When the reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections, which could ultimately have an impact. So by shifting the uterus back into place, the natural balance of the body, is restored.
I must admit, the first time I had this massage done I was a little freaked out. My therapist, Megan, (who is great by the way! www.infusionmassage.com & http://www.wholefoodstherapy.com/blog/) works on my lower back, hips, sacrum, tailbone and abdomen. I was professionally draped at all times, but it's still a little odd. It's strange having someone massage your organs. And can be somewhat painful too! But after a while, I am getting used to it. And already I've noticed a big difference. Not only is it helping to shift my uterus, but it has also helped remind me that I must take time to heal not only my body, but my soul.

Once again I am reminded that we must do things to help ourselves stay centered, calm, and positive. Which is exactly what I needed!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Lisa - thanks for the reminder that we need to do things to help ourselves stay centered, calm and positive. I needed that redirection.

I had never heard of a Mayan massage. I must find out more about it!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Seattle and I use: www.infusionmassage.com

Megan is wonderful, but I'm sure you will be able to find someone just as good in your area :)

Anonymous said...

Giiirl you have just helped me more than you know, just got back from my first HSG today and let's just say you and I have something very much in common, I am definitely going to look into Mayan massages, glad to know there is hope, thanks :)