Monday, October 27, 2008

The Top Ten Things Never to Say to an Infertile.

Well AF has still not arrived. And maybe because I'm still in a fa-la-la mood, I will continue with my blog-rant.

This one goes out to all those uber fertile people, who need a lesson in moron management.

We know you are only trying to help, but please, if you know what's good for you, resist the urge to spew the following non-helpful, idiotic, and teeth-grinding suggestions our way.

The top ten things never to say to someone who's struggling with infertility...

10. But you're still young, you have your whole life to get pregnant.

9. Have you tried elevating your hips afterwards?

8. I know exactly how you feel. It took me 8 months to get pregnant with my third!

7. Consider yourself lucky! You and your husband get to travel and go out to dinner without worrying about a babysitter whenever you want!

6. I know this girl who tried for seven years and as soon as she finally gave up, she got pregnant on her own -- with twins!

5. Why don't you just adopt? As soon as my friend adopted, they got pregnant the next month!

4. Maybe if you quit trying so hard, it'll just happen.

3. You want to borrow my husband? I get pregnant just looking at him!

2. Have you tried reading "The Secret?"

And the number one thing never to say to someone who's struggling with infertility....

1. Maybe if you just relax...


Gee. Thanks. Why didn't I think of that!

6 comments:

Sue said...

I can't even comment on some of those things that people say. They get me so angry. Even if it is easy for them to get pregnant, can't they empathize at all? I've had most of these said to me! Amazing I haven't hurt anyone...must be all the yoga:-) That being said, I am so sorry to hear that you are postponed...BUT if it is any consolation I'm betting that as soon as you get AF, your levels will be perfect and they will say "START STIMS"!!!!

Nikki said...

Good list Lisa. Can I add one more?

"Maybe it's God's will". Yeah, right!.

BTW - I'm sending you AF vibes. Hope she shows soon!

Anonymous said...

You've finally inspired DH to stop lurking and comment :)

Thank you for the laugh this morning.

Now... just relax, would you?

Love Dave.

MRS. ERIN SMITH said...

Ugh.

Some people.

Retro Girl said...

Hi - I'm new to this blog. I appreciate your list and have heard most of those comments as well. I've come to the conclusion that most of the people who make them are 1)obviously naive, but 2) are just trying to make some sense of a situation that just doesn't make any sense and is so unfair...but I wish they didn't have to be so unskillful!

Lost in Space said...

Only 10? LOL. What about, "You can just have my kids." or "Have you tried that in-vitro thing?"

Great list!