Thursday, November 20, 2008

Going Home To 'Our Baby'

Our dog is our baby, and we couldn't love him more if we tried!

I've come to the conclusion that there are 3 types of dog people.

1. The kind that love their dogs like babies and treat them like a part of the family.
2. The kind that have great affection for their dogs and treat them very well, but ultimately feel they are dogs, not a member of the family.
3. The kind that treat their dogs like property that are there to serve a purpose for them.

We are unquestionably in the first group.

Phinnegan sleeps in the bed with us, goes with us on trips with us, we talk to him, we understand his personality, his quirks, his happy and sad moments. We would do anything for him. And we love him just as much as any other member of our family (maybe even more!) He brings us so much joy, and we couldn't imagine our lives without him. He has been there for us through it all. We got him eleven years ago, and since that time he has moved across the country with us three different times, he was there when we bought our first condo, our first house, when we got engaged, got married, and he's been there as we've tried year after year for a baby. He has been with us through all our highs and lows, our best and worst moments. He is always there to give us a hug and a kiss and a cuddle. Granted, he is not the worlds best dog -- he has his issues, that's for sure. He's bad to the bone. But he's our baby and we wouldn't want him any other way. He makes us laugh. He sticks by our side when we cry. And dare I say, he understands everything we say to him.

He's our baby, our little monkey, our kid.

And we know, that if he is as close as we get to a 'real' baby, then we are one lucky mom and dad. Because he's given us more joy and love than we could ever imagine.

We can hardly wait to get home and see our little guy!



12 comments:

Emily said...

Yay for going home to the baby!!! We are totally #1s as well and my parents are the "grandparents" that spoil Libby rotten. She even calls "gramma and papa" and she loves going to see them! Libby has 100% gotten us through the toughest times of IF...

Enjoy the warm welcome from Phinnegan. I know he has missed you soooooo much!!!

Anonymous said...

From one huge dog lover to another... I get it. Our dog truly does not know she's a dog. Beautiful photos.

We're absolute utter strangers, linked only by a computer and the shared experience of IF. But I am so pulling for you thru this journey.

Nikki said...

I'm in the first group too! Simba is our baby - he's loved way more than some family members are LOL.

We brought him home when our first IVF failed and since then, through our numerous failures and losses, he has licked our tears away, put smiles on our faces, and wagged so earnestly in front of us that we have HAD to forget our problems!

Have a safe flight back home Lisa. Give big big hugs to your baby!! I can imagine how much you've missed him and him you!

Anonymous said...

Phin says
Can't wait until you get home. Miss you -Miss you- Miss you

P.S. Grandma has really spoiled me.

Love Phin

MRS. ERIN SMITH said...

What a great looking pooch!!!
You guys look cute, too!!!

Hope you're hanging in there!
Erin :)

A said...

Awww, he's beautiful! We're definitely in your first category. They're our children, for sure. My MIL calls them her gran-dogs. Very cute. Completely unrelated, but I wanted to share we got new doggy car seats and they're *fabulous*. www.fidorido.com I believe. I'm unaffiliated, I swear! Phinnegan looks like a rat terrier- is he? (we do RT rescue!)

Anonymous said...

Hi! That's a beautiful dog!

Meanwhile, I hope you the best on your 2WW!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are headed home, with 3 embies tucked away! Thinking sticky thoughts for you - good luck..

DAVs said...

Awww,what a cutie.
Our two dogs plus cat are definitely our kids. They've seen us through some highs and lows. When I'm feeling particularly in need, I hold Penelope like she's a baby (on her back, cradle style) and she totally digs it.
Glad you're home and jetting through the 2WW!

Anonymous said...

Hey..just saw your comment..all the very best for you and my most sincere prayers!Good Luck!

Lost in Space said...

He is just too cute!! Our furbabies are 10 1/2 and almost 12 so I am a bit partial to an old grey face.

I'm so glad you are now back with your baby. I know being away from ours for 2 weeks will be one of the hardest parts for us too.

Sky said...

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the planet who absolutely adores their dog and treats her like my baby. I just got back from a business trip and I honestly thought about her all the time. People will come up to me and ask how she is - that's how much a part of my life she is. I've been so very lucky to have had 2 wonderful dogs in my life!

Hugs to yours from mine! :)